Fuad H. Mallick, Ph.D
Professor (On leave)
Fuad Hassan Mallick is the Pro Vice Chancellor of BRAC University he is also currently in charge of the Department of Architecture and the Postgraduate Programs in Disaster Management (PPDM) at BRAC University. Fuad has an Bachelor of Architecture degree from the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology and MPhil. in Housing studies, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK and a PhD in Environment and Energy Studies Program, Architectural Association Graduate School, London, UK. He did pioneering research on thermal comfort for Bangladesh and published extensively on it. He is the founder of the department of architecture of BRAC University and the author of its curriculum. He is also the founder director of the university’s Post Graduate Programs in Disaster Management, the first of its kind in the region. Fuad’s research background is on environmental aspects of architectural design, low income and rural housing, architectural education and in the last few years disaster management and climate change. He has written book chapters and published journal articles on disaster management and climate change issues. He is currently involved in research projects with UK universities, dealing with Climate Change and the Built Environment, Climate Change and Urban Poverty and Disaster Education. Amongst others, he has been the team leader for an IUCN project dealing with cyclone resilient housing in the coastal areas and also the team leader for the design and construction of the project “Disaster Resilient Habitat” which involved the design and construction of houses, infrastructure and a school for a community of 43 households in the cyclone affected areas in south east Bangladesh. He has been a technical reviewer for the Aga Khan Award for Architecture and a member of the Aga Khan Education Program’s thinking group for conceptualizing a School of Architecture and Human Settlements for the Aga Khan University. He has been a member of the jury of several design competitions. He is the Vice President of the Asian Universities Network for Environment and Disaster Management (AUEDM), which has a membership of 22 Asian universities. He has supervised many masters dissertation on various aspects disaster management. He has published extensively and has recently co authored a book on Bangladesh’s first modern architect Muzharul Islam.
DepartmentDepartment of Architecture
66 Mohakhali C/A
- Doctor of Philosophy. Environment and Energy Studies Programme, Architectural Association School of Architecture. London. December 1994.
- Master of Philosophy in Architecture (Housing Studies), University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK 1987. (Commonwealth Scholar)
- Bachelor of Architecture. Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology [BUET], Dhaka, Bangladesh. 1983. First Class.
- Disaster Risk Reduction Approaches in Bangladesh, Rajib Shaw, Fuad Mallick andAminul Islam (eds). Springer Japan 2013.
- Climate Change Adaptations in Bangladesh, Rajib Shaw, Fuad Mallick andAminul Islam (eds). Springer Japan 2013
- Muzharul Islam, Architect, Fuad H Mallick and Zainab F Ali (eds). BRAC University Press. January 2012. 88 pages.
- PostAila Community Recovery Innovations and Planning, Fuad Mallick,Aminul Islam Chapter 13 in Disaster Recovery: Used or Misused Development Opportunity, Rajib Shaw (ed). Springer Japan 2014pp241-264, DOI: 10.1007/978-4-431-54255-1_13
- Habitat and Infrastructure: A Localized Approach to Resilience, Fuad Mallick, Chapter 17 in Climate Change Adaptations in Bangladesh, Rajib Shaw, Fuad Mallick andAminul Islam (eds). Springer Japan 2013 pp 331-340, DOI: 10.1007/978-4-431-54249-0_17
- Climate Change: Global Perspectives Rajib Shaw, Aminul Islam and Fuad Mallick Chapter1 in Climate Change Adaptations in Bangladesh, Rajib Shaw, Fuad Mallick andAminul Islam (eds). Springer Japan 2013 pp3-14, DOI: 10.1007/978-4-431-54249-0_1
- National Adaptation Programme of Action Rajib Shaw, Aminul Islam and Fuad Mallick Chapter6 in Climate Change Adaptations in Bangladesh, Rajib Shaw, Fuad Mallick and Aminul Islam (eds). Springer Japan 2013 pp93-106, DOI: 10.1007/978-4-431-54249-0_6
- Bangladesh Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan Rajib Shaw, Aminul Islam and Fuad Mallick Chapter7 in Climate Change Adaptations in Bangladesh, Rajib Shaw, Fuad Mallick and Aminul Islam (eds). Springer Japan 2013 pp107-120, DOI: 10.1007/978-4-431-54249-0_7
- Cyclone and Tornado Risk and Reduction Approaches in Bangladesh, Fuad Mallick and AminurRahman Chapter 5 in Disaster Risk Reduction Approaches in Bangladesh, Rajib Shaw, Fuad Mallick andAminul Islam (eds). Springer Japan 2013 pp 91-102, DOI 10.1007/978-431-54252-0_5
- Disaster, Risk and Evolution of the Concept Rajib Shaw, Aminul Islam and Fuad Mallick Chapter 1 in Disaster Risk Reduction Approaches in Bangladesh, Rajib Shaw, Fuad Mallick andAminul Islam (eds). Springer Japan 2013 pp3-21, DOI 10.1007/978-431-54252-0_1
- National Perspectives of Disaster Risk Reduction in Bangladesh Rajib Shaw, Aminul Islam and Fuad Mallick Chapter 3 in Disaster Risk Reduction Approaches in Bangladesh, Rajib Shaw, Fuad Mallick andAminul Islam (eds). Springer Japan 2013 pp45-64, VDOI 10.1007/978-431-54252-0_3
- Universities and Community-Based Disaster Risk Reduction Rajib Shaw, Yukiko Takeuchi, Ramasamy Krishnamurthy, Joy Jacqueline Pereira, Fuad Mallick (2012) Chapter 4 in in Rajib Shaw (ed.) Community-Based Disaster Risk Reduction (Community, Environment and Disaster Risk Management, Volume 10), Emerald Group Publishing Limited, pp 55-66
- Essentials of Higher Education in Disaster Risk Reduction: Prospects and Challenges Rajib Shaw, Fuad Mallick, Yukiko Takeuchi (2011), Chapter 5, in Rajib Shaw, Koichi Shiwaku, Yukiko Takeuchi (ed.) Disaster Education (Community, Environment and Disaster Risk Management, Volume 7), Emerald Group Publishing Limited, pp 95-113.
- Climate Change induced Hazards, Sectoral Impacts and Adaptation Processes in Bangladesh: an Overview Fuad Mallick, Tawhidul Islam, AminurRahman in Rajib Shaw, Juan Pulhin, Joy Pereira (ed) Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction (Community, Environment and Disaster Risk Management, Volume 4) Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Indigenous Knowledge of Flood Risk Management in Bangladesh Fuad Mallick, AminurRahmaninRajib Shaw, Anshu Sharma, Yukiko Takeuchi (ed) Indigenous Knowledge and Disaster Risk Reduction: From Practice to Policy.NOVA Publisher, USA
- In Search for a Habitable Urban Space-Built Ratio: A Case Study of Building and Planning Regulation in Dhaka City ,Mahtab-uz-Zaman Fuad Mallick, A Q M Abdullah, Jalal Ahmad in J H Bay and B L Ong (ed.), Tropical Sustainable Architecture: Social and Environmental Dimensions, Architectural Press, Elsevier, UK. 2008
- In support of urban adaptation: a participatory assessment process for secondary cities in Vietnam and Bangladesh DarrynMcEvoy, Iftekhar Ahmed, Alexei Trundle, Le Thanh Sang, Nguyen Ngoc Diem, Lam Thi Thu Suu,Tran Ba Quoc, Fuad Hassan Mallick, RezaurRahman, AminurRahman, Nandan Mukherjee &AinunNishat (2014):, Climate andDevelopment, DOI: 10.1080/17565529.2014.886991
- Reducing the health effect of natural hazards in Bangladesh Richard A Cash, Shantana R Halder, Mushtuq Husain, MdSirajul Islam, Fuad H Mallick, Maria A May, MahmudurRahman, M AminurRahman [authors listedalphabetically] (2013). The Lancet-21 November 2013 (DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(13)61948-0)
- On Site Review Report of Bridge School at Xiashi, China. Landscape Architecture China, 2010, No. 6.pages 108-119. December 2010.
- Disaster Management and Development in Bangladesh: The Education Perspective (with Md. AminurRahman. Asian Journal of Environment and Disaster Management.Research Publicationss, Singapore. Volume I ,Issue I. June 2009
- Cyclone Shelters and Alternatives for Sustained Development in Bangladesh (with Md. AminurRahman) Inaugural Issue of Journal of South Asia Disaster Studies. SAARC Disaster Management Center. New Delhi. November 2008
- Cultural And Environmental Values in the arcaded Mesaorian houses of Cyprus (with OzgurDincyurek and Ibrahim Numan) Building and Environment Vol. 38 Issue 12 Elsevier Science S.A. Laussane December 2003 pages 1463-1473
- Local Resources and Participation in Design: 2 Projects in Bangladesh (with Jalal Ahmad and AQM Abdullah) Open House International special issue on “The Architecture of Development” Volume 28 No.3. September 2003
- Comfortability in Urban Houses in the Tropics. In Sustaining the Future Energy-Ecology-Architetcure, Szokolay S. (ed.), Proceedings of the PLEA'99 Conference, Brisbane 1999 (Sept.22-24), Volume1, Refereed papers, pp.351-356.
- Thermal Comfort and Building Design in Tropical Climates. Energy and Buildings.Vol ENB023/3. Elsevier Science S.A. Laussane. 1996. pp 161-167
- Alternative roof insulation possibilities for modern urban structures in Bangladesh. Solar Energy and Architecture. Foster and Herzog (eds) : Proceedings of the Third European Conference on Architecture. Florence May 1993
Seminars and Workshop Proceedings
- Strengthening Conventional Homesteads in Disaster-Prone Area of Bangladesh, (withMuziburRahman) Second International Conference on Construction in Developing Countries (ICCIDC-II), Cairo, Egypt, August 2010.
- Confronting Poverty in the Urban Built Environment (with YasminAra) Paper at Cities: Understanding Socio-cultural Transformations Workshop. Istanbul Bilgi University October 2008. Organised by the Aga Khan University, London.
- Dynamic Vernacular: Outdoor Spaces in the Homesteads of the Ultra Poor (with KhondakerHasibulKabir) 3rd International Seminar on Vernacular Settlement Surabaya, Indonesia. March 2006.
- Basic Principles of Cyclone Characterization and Risk Reduction (with K. Iftekhar Ahmed)paper at US-Bangladesh Workshop on Innovation in Wind Storm/Storm Surge Mitigation.Dhaka December 2005.
- Living Below the Line: Sustainability and the houses of the ultra poor (with KhondakerHasibulKabir) Paper at PLEA 2005 Conference Beirut November 2005.
- In Searching For A Habitable Urban Space-built Ratio: A Case Study Of Buildings And Planning Regulation In Dhaka City (with Q M Zaman, Jalal Ahmad and A Q M Abdullah). Proceedings of iNTA Conference Singapore March 2004.
- Sustainability and Energy Issues in Development: BRAC Solar Projects in Bangladesh (with Zainab F Ali). Paper at “Rethinking Development” PLEA 2003 Conference, Santaigo, Chile. November 2003
- Comfort in High Density Housing: The Case of Corrugated Iron Walls and Roofs (with Zainab F Ali) Paper at “Rethinking Development” PLEA 2003 Conference, Santaigo, Chile. November 2003
- Local Attitudes to Tourism Development in the Historic Quarters of Girne (with EmreGunce).Proceedings of the Third International Congress for Cyprus Studies. Vol. 3 .Bozkurt (ed). Eastern Mediterranean University , Centre for Cyprus Studies Publications. Gazimagusa. North Cyprus. November 2000. Pp451 –466.
- Climate, Comfort and Devotion : A study at the Krsna temple complex, Mayapur, India (with Zainab F. Ali, Brian Ford and Camilo Diaz) in Environmentally Friendly Cities. Maldonado and Yannas (eds). Proceedings of the PLEA 98 Conference, Lisbon, June 1998, pp187- 190
- GURUKULA at Nadia, India: An environment friendly Vedic village (with Zainab F. Ali) ) in Environmentally Friendly Cities. Maldonado and Yannas (eds). Proceedings of the PLEA 98 Conference, Lisbon, June 1998, pp141-143
- Learning from Tradition; Aspects of Comfort and Habitabilty in the Mud Houses of Bangladesh. Sustainable Communities and Architecture - Bioclimatic Design in Cold Climates. (Proceedings of the 14th international conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture). Kushiro. Japan 1997.pp263-268
- Learning from Greatness; Environmental Assessment of the National Assembly Building, Bangladesh (with Zainab F. Ali)Sustainable Communities and Architecture - Bioclimatic Design in Cold Climates. (Proceedings of the 14th international conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture). Kushiro. Japan 1997.pp 257-262
- Comfortably Speaking. Earth vol. 5. Winter 1995. pp 130-131
- Learning from the Past; Aspects of Environmental Design in Old Buildings. (with Zakiul Huda). Paper at the International Seminar: Future of the Past: Architectural Heritage of Dhaka.. January 13-15, 1996. Dhaka
- Aspects of Building Design and Comfortable Occupancy in Tropical Urban Environments Proceedings ofthe International Workshop on Solar Architecture and Planning. Calcutta, India. September, 1995
- Thermal Comfort in Tropical Climates: an investigation of Comfort Criteria for Bangladeshi Subjects. Architecture of the Extremes: Proceedings of the 11th International PLEA Conference, Israel. Etzion, Evyatar, Meir and Pearlmutter (eds). PLEA and The Desert Architecture Unit, Ben Guiron University of the Negev, Israel. 1995. pp 47-52
- Environmental Performance of Urban Housing Typologies in Bangladesh. Architecture of the Extremes: Proceedings of the 11th International PLEA Conference, Israel. Etzion, Evyatar, Meir and Pearlmutter (eds). PLEA and The Desert Architecture Unit, Ben Guiron University of the Negev, Israel. 1995. pp 335-340
- Shading Patterns of Some Typical Urban Housing Layouts. Proceedings of the Technical Conference on Tropical Urban Climates held in Dhaka April 1993. WMO
- Conservation of Khan Mohammed Mirdha's Mosque.Conservation Workshop Project. Published in Architecture and Urban Conservation in the Islamic World.
- Guest Editor (with MonjurMourshed), Open House International special issue on ‘Adapting Buildings to Climate Change’December 2012
- Member, Editorial Board Asian Journal of Environment and Disaster Management, Research Publishing, Singapore
- Member, Editorial Board, Urban Risk: A Journal on Disaster Management. Disaster Management Bureau, Government of Bangladesh.
- Member, Editorial Board, Time Based Architecture (now defunct), Urban International Press UK
- Member, Board of Editors: Local Voice: International Journal on Indigenous Knowledge and Development. Dhaka
- Member Scientific Committee V. International Gazimağusa Symposium 2007 Medi-Triology: Coastal Settlements, Culture, Conservation’. Northern Cyprus
- Editor (Bangladesh), Survey of Architecture, Planning and Environmental Design Education in the Muslim World. Commissioned by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture. 2008
- Member, Board of Editors, ARCHENT-IJAR:Archnet International Journal of Architectural Research.
- Guest Editor (jointly with Zainab F Ali), Open House International special issue on “The Architecture of Development” Volume 28 No.3. September 2003
- Guest Editor, Open House International special issue on “Environmentally Responsive Architecture” published September 2000.
- Co Editor Social Role of Architects in SAARC Countries. Publication of papers and discussions of the SAARCH (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation of Architects) conference held in Dhaka, 1995.
- Member, Editorial Board, Open House International, (International Refereed Journal)
- Reviewer, Protibesh, Journal of the Department of Architecture, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology.
- Reviewer, Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bangladesh
- Reviewer, BRAC University Journal
- Reviewer, Habitat International
- March 2013 – date: Pro Vice Chancellor, BRAC University
- September 2006 – date: Director, Post Graduate Programs in Disaster Management, BRAC University*
- December 2003 – date: Professor and Chairperson, Department of Architecture, BRAC University*
- February 2002 - December 2003: Associate Professor and Chairperson, Department of Architecture, BRAC University
- February 2004 - September 2006: In charge of Post Graduate Programs in Disaster Management, BRAC University. Development of curriculum for the program, Overall responsibility of conducting the program since Sept 2005.
- June 2001 - January 2002: Coordinator, Architecture Program, BRAC University, 66 Mohakhali, Dhaka. Author of the curriculum for the B. Arch Program
- March 1999 - March 2001: Associate Professor, Faculty of Architecture, Eastern Mediterranean University [EMU], Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus [TRNC], Gazimagusa, via Mersin 10, Turkey
- April 1997 - January 1999: Associate Professor Department of Architecture, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- August 1990 - April 1997: Assistant Professor, Department of Architecture, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- April 1988 - August 1990: Lecturer, Department of Architecture, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- January 1991 – date: Partner, Architekton (Pvt) Ltd. A private design consulting office
- August 1987 - March 1988: Self employed as an Architect in own private practice. Involved in the design of several private residences and commercial buildings. Overall office administration and construction site management. (see design work for details of projects).
- Sept 1985 - July 1987: Employed part time as architect/draftsman by the Center for Architectural Research and Development Overseas University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
- August 1983 - August 1985: Architect for Project Management and Consultancy Services Limited, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Responsible for the design of a number of projects including three award winning competition schemes. (see design work for details of projects).
(fromArchitekton Pvt. Ltd)
- Third Prize, Design of North South University Campus in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- First Prize, Design Competition for Arab Bangladesh Bank Head Quarter Building, Kakrail, Dhaka, Bangladesh. March 1999
- Second Prize, Design Competition for Head Office Building of Peoples Insurance Company Ltd. March 1998
- First Prize, Competition for the Design of Bangladesh Chancery Complex in New Delhi, India. Nov 1995. Project built.
(from Project Management And Consultancy Services Ltd.)
- Second Prize, Design Competition for the Headquarters of Bakhrabad Gas Systems, Comilla, Bangladesh. 1984
- Third Prize, Design Competition for Office Complex, Bakhrabad Gas Systems, Feni, Bangladesh. 1984
- Second Prize, Design Competition for headquarters building of the Dhaka Municipal Corporation. 1984
Building design and consulting
(fromDept of Architecture, BRAC University)
- Coordinator: Design and Construction of a “Disaster Resilient Habitat” at Satkhira, Bangladesh. Joint project with Disaster, Environment and Climate Change Unit, BRAC. UNDP funded project. Completed September 2011.
- Team leader: Design of multipurpose cyclone shelters in SIDR affected areas for BRAC. Completed 2010.
- Team leader: Design for reconstruction of houses for SIDR affected population for BRAC . 2008.
- Team leader: Study to review and provide recommendation for improvement in design and construction of rural homesteads for IUCN. 2007.
BRAC University (2002-date)
DMG 604: Independent Study in Disaster Management I
DMG 605: Independent Study in Disaster Management II
DMG 699: Dissertation, Supervisor and Examiner.
ARC 111: Graphic Communication I
ARC 201: Design III
ARC 202: Design IV
ARC 301: Design V
ARC 302: Design VI
ARC 501: Design IX
ARC 502: Design X
ARC 511: Seminar I
ARC 512: Seminar II
ARC 121: Introduction to Architecture
ARC 251: Design with Climate
ARC 452: Design with the Environment
Eastern Mediterranean University (1999 –2001)
Arch 573. Passive Solar Design. Graduate Course
Arch 502. Special Studies. Graduate Course (for supervisees)
Arch 500. Masters Thesis Supervision
Arch 600. Ph.D. Thesis Supervision.
Arch 202. Architectural Design II: 2nd year design studio
Arch 245. Environmental Control I
Arch 347. Bioclimatic Building Design
Arch 302. Architectural Design IV: 3rd year design studio
Arch 111. Human and Social Factors
Arch 301 Architectural Design III. 3rd year design studio
Arch 402. Graduation Project
Arch 403. Architectural Research
Arch 122. Evolution of the Built Environment-2.
Arch 300. Summer Practice II: Surveying and Measured Drawing
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (1988-1999)
Arch 504. Design Studio X (Thesis Project). 5th year design studio
Arch 502. Design Studio IX. 5th year design studio
Arch 404. Design Studio VIII. 4th year design studio
Arch 302. Design studio V. 3rd year design studio
Arch 224. Photography.
Arch 202. Design studio III. 2nd year design studio
Arch 133. Environment and Design I: Climate and Design
Arch 151. Design Theory I
Arch 102. Design Studio 1. First year design studio
Arch 141. Art and Architecture I.
Conferences, Talks, and Speaking Engagements+–
- Dhaka, Morphology and Developments. Presentation at the conference on “The Contemporary South Asian City’ Karachi, Pakistan. January 2014
- “The Bridge School “. Invited lecture at the Department of Architecture, King Fahd University of petroleum and Minerals, Dharan, Saudi Arabia. November 12, 2012
- “A Traditional Modernity” and “Disaster Resilient Habitat” Invited lecture at the College of Architecture and Planning, University of Dammam, Saudi Arabia. November 11, 2012
- “Architectural Education in Bangladesh: Context for a Future”. Invited lecture at the Institute of Architects, Bangladesh lecture series. November 2008
- “Recent Trends in Bangladesh Architecture: The way ahead” Lecture at the Indus Valley School of Architecture, Karachi. April 2007.
- “Contemporary Architecture in Bangladesh: The Search Goes On” Lecture at Eastern Mediterranean University, N. Cyprus. April 2006
- Lecture at Panel Discussion on “Housing in the Two Extreme Contexts: Ultra Poor and Rich’ Organized by U-HERA at the Faculty of Architecture, Eastern Mediterranean University, March 17, 2006
- Guest Lecture at Center for Architectural Research and Development Overseas (CARDO), University of Newcastle upon Tyne. January 1994
- Lecture on Charles Rennie Macintosh and the Glasgow School of Art. AALAP lecture series. BUET. Dhaka. January 1993
- Lecture on Louis Kahn and the Capitol Complex at Dhaka Union of Architecture Students. University of Newcastle upon Tyne. 1986.
- ODA funded scholarship for doctoral studies in U.K. October 1991- September 1994
- Commonwealth Scholar in the U.K. October 1985 - July 1987
- Merit Scholarship from the Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education, Dhaka for five years of undergraduate studies.1978-1983
- Merit Scholarship from the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology. 1981-82.
- Fellow, Institute of Architects Bangladesh
- Member, Asiatic Society of Bangladesh
- Member, Syndicate, BRAC University
- External member, Planning and Construction Committee, Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Dhaka.
- Chairperson, Admission Committee, BRAC University, 2009-10
- Member, Interview Board for Commonwealth Scholarship Candidates in Planning, Civil Engineering and Architecture.University Grants Commission of Bangladesh 2008.
- Member, Scholarship Committee, BRAC University
- Member, BRAC- Ford Scholarship Committee, BRAC University
- Chairperson, Convocation Committee, BRAC University 2006
- Member, Convocation Committee, BRAC University
- Member, Thinking Group for the Conceptualization of a School of Architecture and Human Settlements for the Aga Khan University,2006-2007.
- Member, Board of Editors for a Survey of Architectural, Education in Islamic Countries sponsored by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture, 2007-2008.
- Member, Academic Council, BRAC University 2002- present
- Member, Building Committee.Dhaka Stock Exchange, 2006.
- Chairperson, Admissions Committee, BRAC University 2005-2006
- Member, Faculty Board, Faculty of Architecture, Eastern Mediterranean University 1999-2001
- Member Graduate Committee, Faculty of Architecture, Eastern Mediterranean University 1999-2001
- Member, Exhibition and Archive Committee, Faculty of Architecture, Eastern Mediterranean University 1999-2001.
- Member Curriculum Development Committee (Environmental Control), Faculty of Architecture, Eastern Mediterranean University 1999-2000
- Nominator, Aga Khan Award for Architecture.
- Member, Academic Council, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology 1995-1999
- Adviser, Asia Pacific University, Dhaka, Bangladesh on course curriculum for Architecture 1996-7
- Coordinator, Exhibition Committee, Department of Architecture, BUET 1995
- Founder Coordinator, Architecture Department Photographic Society (ADPS) BUET 1989
- Member, Executive Committee, Institute of Architects (IAB), Bangladesh (1988-90)
- Member, IAB Newsletter Editorial Board (1988-90)
- Member, IAB Directory Editorial Board (1989-90)
- Member, Board of Undergraduate Studies, Department of Architecture, BUET, 1988-99
- Member, Board of Post Graduate Studies, Faculty of Architecture, BUET 1992-99
- Pro Poor Slum Integration Project. World Bank sponsored project managed by the National Housing Authority, Ministry of the Housing and Public Works. Investigation of potential development of housing and infrastructure of low income communities in secondary cities of Bangladesh. October 2013-ongoing. Team leader.
- Adaptable and Resilient Urban Built Environment (ARUBE) for a changing climate scenario.3 year joint research project with Loughborough University, UK. Funded by the British Council. Ongoing
- Climate Change and Urban Poverty, ESRC fundedJoint research with the Brooks World Poverty Institute (BWPI), Manchester University, BRAC Development Institute. Ongoing
- Disaster Resilient Habitat. An action research project, consisting of design and construction of a habitat consisting of 43 houses and a school for cyclone affected population in the south west of Bangladesh. Funded by UNDP and conduction in collaboration with Disaster Environment and Climate Change division of BRAC. Team leader for research and design. January-September 2011
- A Comparative Analysis of Different Types of Flood Shelters in Bangladesh. A study commissioned by DIPECHO Partners in Bangladesh and Supported by the European Commission. Done jointly by the Post Graduate Programs in Disaster Management, BRAC University and The Institute of Water and Flood Management, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology. May- September 2010
- Improved Design and Construction of Rural Housing in Noakhali, Bangladesh. An action research project commissioned by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN).Design and construction of 3 new and 3 retrofitted cyclone resistant houses. Completed December 2008.
- Spaces and Building Aspects of the Ultra Poor. Joint research with the Research and Evaluation Division (RED) of BRAC. The research focuses on the concepts of space, building practices, sustainability and energy use issues of a community of ultra poor in the village of Domar in northern Bangladesh. 2004-2006
- Improving Thermal Performance of Corrugated Iron Sheets as a Building Material in Bangladesh’, research at the Department of Architecture, BRAC University.
- Roof Insulation in Hot Climates. Research at the Faculty of Architecture, Eastern Mediterranean University, Gazimagusa, North Cyprus. Sponsored by Tubitak, Turkey.
- Research Supervisor to Dr. MahbuburRahman, Robert McNamara research fellow Role of NGOs in Housing for the Urban Poor in Bangladesh (World Bank sponsored) 1999
- Thermal Comfort Survey and Analysis and Environmental Behavior of Existing Buildings, Mayapur, West Bengal, India, for the new temple complex to be built for International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), August, 1997. Research commissioned by Brian Ford & Associates, UK and Fulcrum Associates, UK
- Thermal Comfort for Urban Housing in Bangladesh. (doctoral research) Architectural Association – Building Research Establishment (UK) – Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology Link Program funded by the Overseas Development Agency (UK) 1991-94
- A Local Approach to Urban Housing Design in Bangladesh. Unpublished M.Phil dissertation.University of Newcastle upon Tyne. 1987
"Folio 1" ,
Farasha Zaman, Fuad H. Mallick, Ph.D, Shams Mansoor Ghani, Saiqa Iqbal Meghna
Lead/Principal Author: Fuad Hassan Mallick
Co-author: Shams M Ghani, Farasha Zaman, Saiqa Iqbal Meghna, Najeeb Hassan
Name of Publisher: BRAC University Press
2016Field of Research: Architecture Design Studios
"Disaster Risk Reduction Approaches in Bangladesh" ,
Fuad H. Mallick, Ph.D
Lead/Principal Author: Rajib Shaw
Co-author: Fuad Mallick and Aminul Islam (eds)
Name of Publisher: Springer, Japan
2013Field of Research: Disaster Risk Reduction
"Strengthening Conventional Homesteads in Disaster-Prone Area of Bangladesh" ,
Fuad H. Mallick, Ph.D, Muzibur Rahman
Lead/Principal Author: Fuad Hassan Mallick
Co-author: Muzibur Rahman
Name of Publisher: the proceeding of the Second International Conference on Construction in Developing Countries (ICCIDC-II)
2010Field of Research: Disaster Resilient Habitat
- "Folio 1" , Farasha Zaman, Fuad H. Mallick, Ph.D, Shams Mansoor Ghani, Saiqa Iqbal Meghna Lead/Principal Author: Fuad Hassan Mallick Co-author: Shams M Ghani, Farasha Zaman, Saiqa Iqbal Meghna, Najeeb Hassan Name of Publisher: BRAC University Press Year: