Publication and Activities of Dr. Mirza Azizul Islam, January 2017
Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 17:00
- A half page OP-ED interview with Dr. Mirza Azizul Islam was published on 13 January, 2017 in The Asian Age. The interview dealt with many contemporary issues facing Bangladesh. Among the issues discussed were Rohingya crisis, implications of Brexit and Donald Trump’s Presidency, GDP growth and investment climate in Bangladesh.
- A half page interview with Dr. Mirza Azizul Islam was published in the Bengali daily newspaper Alokito Bangladesh on 16 January 2017. The interview focused on the growth prospects of Bangladesh economy in the near future in light of recent indicators. The indicators considered included export performance, remittances received, credit flow to the private sector, classified loan in banking system, tax revenue collection and developments in the stock markets.
- An article entitled “Clouds on 2017 Macroeconomic Horizon” was published in Issue No. 119 of Market Pulse—a monthly journal of Lanka Bangla Securities. The article analyzed recent developments in some key macroeconomic indicators such as exports, remittances, interest rates, revenue collection, classified loan in the banking sector etc. and their implications for achieving 7.2% GDP growth target for FY 17.
- 1 January: Dr. Mirza Azizul Islam was a discussant in a TV program broadcast by DBC TV channel. Another participant in the discussion was Mr. Ibrahim Khaled, Former Deputy Governor of Bangladesh Bank. The topic of the discussion was the present state of affairs in the banking system of Bangladesh and prospects for 2017.
- 15 January: Dr. Mirza Azizul Islam participated in an Expert Group Consultation convened by Bangladesh Bank. The subject matter of discussions was what should be the stance of Monetary Policy for second half of FY 17 to be announced by Bangladesh Bank on 24th January. The discussions reviewed the recent developments in key macroeconomic indicators including developments in the financial sector. It was suggested that the upcoming Monetary Policy should provide guidelines as to how the emerging challenges can be addressed. The discussants included two former Governors of Bangladesh Bank, one former Finance Minister and a number of eminent economists from academic and research institutions.
- 16 January: Dr. Mirza Azizul Islam was a discussant in TV program broadcast by NTV on Bangladesh Capital Market. The other discussants were Mr. Farooq Ahmed Siddiqui, former Chairman of Securities and Exchange Commission and Mr. RokiburRahman, Former President of Dhaka Stock Exchange. The recent upsurge in stock market index and turnover as well as the emerging problems in the stock market were reviewed and suggestions were offered to deal with them.
- 17 January: Dr. Mirza Azizul Islam was the lone discussant in a TV program broadcast by Independent Television. The discussion focused on what should be the focus of upcoming Monetary Policy in light of recent changes and near term prospects of important macroeconomic indicators.
- 23 January: Dr. Mirza Azizul Islam was the only discussant in the TV broadcast by Ekushey television. The subject matter of discussion was the near term growth prospects of Bangladesh in light of recent changes in selected macroeconomic indicators as well as likely developments in the world economy.
- 25 January: Dr. Mirza Azizul Islam was a participant in a discussion broadcast by TV channel 24 News. The other participant was Mr. Benazir Ahmed, former President of Dhaka Chamber of Commerce and Industries and presently Chairman of the Board of Trustees of North South University. The discussion focused on constraints to increasing domestic private sector investment as well as attracting foreign direct investment. Suggestions were also offered regarding policy measures to mitigate the constraints.
- 28 January: Dr. Mirza Azizul Islam delivered a lecture at a seminar organized by Dhaka University Business Studies Faculty. The lecture focused on budget processes of Bangladesh, the need for increasing both Revenue/GDP ratio and Expenditure/GDP ratio. Actions needed for improved revenue collection, cost effective expenditure management including implementation of Annual Development Programs and timely utilization of external assistance were highlighted.
- 29 January: Dr. Mirza Azizul Islam was the only discussant in a TV program broadcast by Independent Television on Monetary Policy announced by Bangladesh Bank for the second half of FY 17. Comments were offered on the monetary targets, approach to exchange rate management, policy rates of Bangladesh Bank and emerging scenario regarding exports as well as remittances.
August 20th, 2017
August 6th, 2017
July 30th, 2017
July 30th, 2017