OSUN in BRAC University
BRAC University is the first university from South Asia to be part of the Open Society University Network (OSUN), a global network of educational institutions across the world that are dedicated to advancing knowledge, promoting civic engagement, and expanding access to global higher education.
What is OSUN?
The Open Society University Network (OSUN) is a groundbreaking model of global higher education. It brings together universities and colleges from around the world to integrate learning and knowledge creation across disciplines and borders. OSUN focuses on the social sciences, humanities, sciences, and arts, both at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
OSUN aims to educate students to address tomorrow’s global challenges, fostering critical thinking and open intellectual inquiry to strengthen the foundations of open society amid the current authoritarian resurgence. OSUN counteracts intellectual monocultures and polarization by uniting institutions around the world in collaborative research projects and by encouraging students to examine issues from different perspectives and through reasoned arguments. In addition, OSUN addresses inequality by expanding educational access to neglected and minority populations, such as incarcerated persons, the Roma, and refugees.
OSUN For BRAC University Students
As a member of OSUN, BRAC University gains access to a global network of like-minded institutions committed to academic excellence, social justice, and open societies. This network provides unique opportunities for collaboration, knowledge exchange, and joint research initiatives, empowering our faculty and students to contribute to pressing global challenges. The Following are some of the programs that are currently ongoing at the university with OSUN.
- Social Impact Lab BRAC University: A platform for the change-makers and creative thinkers of the university where they get to co-create and work on projects to make an impact on in the community.
- OSUN Science Shop BRAC University: A unique program that connects the academic courses at the university to community partners so the students can get engaged with the community.
- Get Engaged: Student Action and Leadership Conference: To give BRAC University Students a global platform to meet with global student leaders from across the network and share about their civic engagement projects with the world. This year Student Leaders from BRACU will be traveling to Budapest for the conference.
- OSUN Student Mobility Program: Offering students exchange programs across the network. Through this program students can go to other OSUN institutions to study for one whole semester.
- OSUN Summer Courses: BRAC University Students can attend summer courses in CEU Budapest and even apply for fundings for their travel and stay.
- OSUN Courses: A Global Classroom where students from different OSUN institutes come together and learn from faculties all over the network.
- Experiential Learning: ENV103 from the Department of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, CST301, CST303, CST306 and CST307 from the School of General Education has received a grant of $7,500 in the year 2021 to restructure and develop the course. The grant is also used to make the classroom experiential and add the components of civic engagement.
- OSUN Global Fellows: Students can become Global Fellows at OSUN and expand their network throughout OSUN to collaborate on projects and mentor other students. The Global Fellows get an yearly stipend and travel opportunities to different OSUN campuses.