Centre for Climate Change and Environmental Research (C3ER), BRAC University, was established in 2011. C3ER’s Vision is to craft sustainable & adaptive solutions for society, and its targets are to be established as a cutting-edge research and academic institute in Bangladesh working in the field of climate physical science and natural resources management. C3ER has extensive expertise in climate change adaptation, mitigation, loss and damage, natural resource management, knowledge sharing, capacity building, Remote Sensing, GIS and databases, policy advocacy, and governance, etc. Since its establishment, C3ER’s primary goal as an academic research institute is to generate new knowledge, share it with other stakeholders, and influence policymakers. C3ER adheres to the principle of “Leave No One Behind.”
Along with research activities, C3ER has expertise in formulating national policies and plans. It has been involved in the formulation process of several policy documents, including the National Adaptation Plan (NAP), 2023-2030; the updating of National Determined Contribution (NDC), 2021; Bangladesh Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan (BCCSAP), 2009; Bangladesh Climate Change Gender Action Plan (BCCGAP), 2022 and Sector Action Plan on “Environment & Climate Change”, 2022, etc.
In addition to this, C3ER has a capacity-building unit from where it provides capacity-building training on Climate change vulnerability, Disaster Management, Gender Mainstreaming Guidelines, Access to Green Climate Fund (GCF), Climate Finance, and Proposal Development Process, etc., and so far, the Centre has provided numerous trainings to the government officials, NGO, INGOs, youth, children, practitioners, researchers, and academician, etc.
For details please visit: https://c3er.bracu.ac.bd
The C3ER focus on:
- Understanding the physical science of climate change and generation of climate change scenario for Bangladesh at local level
- Sea level rise and storm surge modeling for coastal zone protection against sea level rise and storm surges
- Bio-physical modeling for assessing the impact of climate change on environment
- Integrated adaptation planning and environment friendly infrastructure design
- Economics of adaptation to climate change and investment need identification
- Mitigation through emission reduction with particular focus on renewable energy options
- Comprehensive disaster management in a changing climate
- Application of bio-technological research at field level for the development of climate resilient cropping system
- Community based adaptation and awareness raising at local level
- Education curricula development for students and also for the training of local people, civil society and professionals
- Gender and climate induced migration including population dynamics and displacement
- Natural resource management to prevent degradation and preservation of ecologically critical areas
- Water supply and sanitation, pollution control and environmental governance
- Conservations of endangered flora and fauna to protect them from human invasions.
- Policy formulation for mainstreaming climate change adaptation in sectoral strategy and plan options